Friday, August 29, 2008

An Ounce of Salt Clay


For Family Home Evening my daughter Cindy made clay so we could fashion an adobe hut village and talk about the unity of families. After the lesson, I was busy cleaning up after dinner and didn’t notice our grandchildren 4 year old Michael or 1 year old Joshua who were out on the deck pushing salt clay into the webbing of our lounge chair.

When I went outside, I noticed two soft saucer sized clay circles pushed into the webbing. I smiled at their creativity and made a mental note to clean up the mess.

Several days later I began cleaning up the hardened clay that clung relentlessly to the lounge chair. My 10 minute job turned into over an hour. Cindy joined me and it ended up taking an hour total.

When I finally had the chair and the deck scrubbed I thought of how easy it would have been to clean the salt clay when I first discovered the circles on the lounge chair or better yet, put the clay away after we finished our adobe village project in the kitchen area.

So it is with my relationships. I am much wiser if apply prevention through habits like having planning sessions or discuss misunderstandings right away rather than find my feelings of hurt, resentment and fear push themselves into the webbing of my heart hardening and embittering it.

Father in Heaven, please help me remember that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of salt clay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to have a sit down and discuss this with you. I have some issues that I am having a hard time coming to terms with.
Love you. Susan