Friday, August 29, 2008

Sand Castles



McKinley and I built a castle in the sand

An excerpt from My Journey From Darkness to Light


by Patricia Potts




As a young girl I once built a sand castle during a camping trip to Bear Lake. It was coming along nicely with a tower, a mote and even little flags when a big bully came along and smashed it. I cried and yelled many a protest, but to no avail. The bully simply proceeded down the beach as he kicked down other sandcastles in his path.
I was so hurt at his meanness that I didn’t even attempt to rebuild another castle. “After all,” I reasoned, “he’ll probably just come along and ruin it again.” The hours passed and soon it was time to leave the lake. I had missed my chance to rebuild my castle and experience the joy it might have brought. Although it was natural for me to resent the interruption in what I had considered a good productive activity, my choice to place blame only kept me from rebuilding.

1 comment:

Heidi Hamilton said...

Cute pictures, mom - and I do love that story.